Fantasy Golf 101
Learn How To Play Fantasy Golf
I am going to quickly list out how the style of fantasy golf that I play (weekly fantasy golf) works. There are many different scoring systems and various league rules, but the weekly fantasy golf featured here works as follows:
The Objective – Score More Points With Your Lineup Than Others – Draft a team of golfers. Earn fantasy points by doing well on the course.
Draft Six Golfers Under A Salary Cap – You are given $50,000 to spend on 6 golfers. Each golfer carries a price tag. The better the golfer, the higher the cost to draft them.
- $50k Budget
- Draft 6 Golfers
- Top golfer ~10k
- Lowest ranked golfer ~$4k
- Earn poings with: Par’s, Birdies, Eagles
- Lose points with: bogeys, double bogyes etc.
The Fanduel Golf rules and scoring are somewhat different than this guide. Please read those if you are considering Fanduel golf.
You can score points in other ways as well such as streaks of birdies, all rounds below 70, and finish position. Different fantasy golf sites score things differently as there are no universal rules of “fantasy golf scoring”. As a matter of fact, in 2019, Draftkings has multiple golf formats including ‘showdown, weekend, Match play and classic.
Fantasy Golf Salary Cap Leagues (the most common)
The following guide is based on playing Classic style fantasy golf at DraftKings.
How To Score Points with Fantasy PGA
You can score points a few ways with your team including points per each hole, points for tournament finish, points for streaks and for certain special criteria like low round of the day. Let’s break them down:
Score points per hole
This is an example from DraftKings. The scoring at other fantasy golf sites is considerably different.
- Double Eagle (DBL EAG): +20 PTs
- Eagle (EAG): +8 PTs
- Birdie (BIR): +3 PTs
- Par (PAR): +0.5 PTs
- Bogey (BOG): -0.5 PTs
- Double Bogey (DBL BOG): -1 PT
- Worse than Double Bogey (WORSE DBL BOG): -1 PT
Score Points on Finish Rank
- 1st: 30 PTs
- 2nd: 20 PTs
- 3rd: 18 PTs
- 4th: 16 PTs
- 5th: 14 PTs
- 6th: 12 PTs
- 7th: 10 PTs
- 8th: 9 PTs
- 9th: 8 PTs
- 10th: 7 PTs
- 11th–15th: 6 PTs
- 16th–20th: 5 PTs
- 21st–25th: 4 PTs
- 26th–30th: 3 PTs
- 31st–40th: 2 PTs
- 41st-50th: 1 PTs
Score Points for Streaks and Bonuses
- Streak of 3 Birdies of Better (MAX 1 Per Round) (3+ BIR STRK): +3 PTs
- Bogey Free Round (BOG FREE RD): +3 PTs
- All 4 Rounds Under 70 Strokes (ALL 4 RDS UND 70): +5 PTs
- Hole in One (HOLE IN ONE): +10 PTs
You can see a comprehensive fantasy golf scoring breakdown here for more details as different sites score things differently.
How Weekly Style Fantasy Golf Works
Draft Your Team Of Golfers and They Hit The Links for 4 Days / 4 Rounds of PGA Tournaments
Your team of golfers battle it out on the links and you rack up points as they play hole by hole and round by round.
- Leagues last four days only.
- Draft a brand new team next week.
- Draft multiple line-up’s any week.
- Enter as many contests / leagues as you want.
- Spend your salary cap any way you choose.
- Play and win real money.
- Free contests available if you just want to play for fun.
- Small freerolls (~$10 prize) available.
- $2 contest with ~$4,000 prize pool every week.
Fantasy Golf Money Leagues Available
From head to head matches to tournaments with thousands of competitors and from as little as $0.25 entry up to $1000 buy-in.
- Leagues run ~47 weeks per year (PGA is all year long more or less)
- Legal, licensed, regulated and legit companies.
- USA Based companies.
- Fantasy Sports specifically carved out as legal in the USA’s Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (the one that kicked PartyPoker out of the USA for quite a while).
Here is a list of fantasy golf money leagues you can join
See the list here for the time being. We are working on adding the current games in an updating list.
Pick Em Golf Leagues
Pickem golf leagues work different than the salary cap leagues in they way you get players on your team.
- No Salary Cap
- 6 Tiers of golfers to choose from
- Each tier contains from 3-8 golfers to choose from
- Pick the best golfer from each tier to make up your 6 man team.
- Score points the same as a salary cap league.
- If you want to play pickem leagues I highly recommend DraftDay golf.
No Pressure – No Commitment – No One Even Knows It’s You
You can create an account at one of my recommended fantasy golf websites using whatever login name you are comfortable with. Deposits are fast and easy with any credit card or paypal. Payouts are also fast and easy. No hassle getting paid when you win if you are playing at one of the sites on my short list.
You will like these articles: